Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Growing in Christ









I am currently doing two studies one in 1 Corinthians with my GMG group and the second is the James study. When I was reading about the study I was very inspired to teach my son whom I home school different ways to study the Bible. This is something that I was not taught as a child. We were encouraged to read but not taught how to study. So on Friday I created study books for us. One that looks girlie for me and a more manly one for him. (He is almost 15 after all) I have
discovered how hard it is to change your way of thinking for a study from just reading to get through the book.
It has been a challenge to think of observations and applications that are not just quoting the two verses read. My son asked me yesterday, "How come you can come up more in depth answers and mine are so short and simple?" I responded by telling him that it will come in time. The more you practice thinking in this way the more you will see. I also suggested that he pray for God to show him what he wants him to learn from each passage. This moring I was spending time in 1 Corinthians chapter 3 and read the verse that compares young believers to infants in Christ who still need breast milk instead of solid food. I can attest that a strong foundation has been laid in my son and now he is ready to move on to solid food. I am excited to watch him learn and grow and become more of a Bible scholar.
Sing Praises to Your King!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so great that you are doing this with your son and that you are teaching him this.

I found you through the Good Morning Girls Wed link up. YAY!

I am glad there are so many of us taking this journey together!

Carolyn "Carrie"
www.carriefairythoughts.blogspot.com

Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

I am smiling EAR TO EAR right now - there is no greater joy than for me to hear that not only you are seeking God daily but WOOOOHOOOO you have taught your son how to do the same and he IS DOING IT!!! Praise the Lord - what a great little man you have there!!!! You are a GOOD mom!!!

And I love the Casting Crowns song playing here - what a wonderful blog you have - I'm so encouraged!!!
Much Love,
Courtney

Melissa Sutton said...

Courtney my son is not so little he will be 15 in about 3 weeks. Thank you for the encouragement! You have been a blessing to many people.

Soccer Mom in Giggle Town said...

What a wonderful idea.. I am going to teach my children S.O.A.P .. this way they will be clean on the inside and the days they choose to take a good shower on the outside as well!

blessings & giggles
Jeanie

Angela said...

Ohhh I loved seeing your James notebooks!!! How neat that you are doing the James study with him. Thanks so much for linking up with us this week!

Love God Greatly!
-Angela