Thursday, July 15, 2010

Do you worship Idols?

Today I was continuing my Daily quiet time with God and as I was reading Ezekiel 4-10 it occurred to me that idols are every where. We do not necessary make graven images that we bow down to and worship or pray to but there are many things that we put in front of God. For example T.V., Computers, Video Games, Sports, Friends, Family and the list goes on and on. This is something that I believe all Christians struggle with. How much is too much? When does something go from being a pastime to an idol? I do not believe that we are meant to spend our entire day dinging in Gods Word How ever we should be meditating on what we have read and we should fill our thoughts with him through out our day. We have many ways to do this. What kind of music do you listen to? Does it turn your thoughts towards God or towards earthly things? What kinds of books do your read? What kind of T.V. programs do you watch are they pleasing to the Lord? What about the time you spend with your friends are you fellowshipping or gossiping? Even in our own families is our time spent glorifying God or worrying about how we are going to get the kids to all their activities and also get the stuff done around our home. Perhaps it is time that we evaluate our lives to see where those idols are so that we can destroy them and focus on Godly things instead. After all God showed his wrath to the Israelites and I know I would rather not see God's wrath turned towards me.

In his service,
Melissa

No comments: