Thursday, April 19, 2007

Lock Down

On Tuesday at about 10:30 the announcement came that our school was in a lock down. The teachers and children moved quickly to hide in our secret places. I was wondering if I had missed the announcement earlier that morning about a practice. But after about 15 minutes I along with the children realized that it was not a drill it was the real deal. I was so proud of my little first graders. They were so brave and not one cried. They followed instructions to the T. When more information was available the children never skipped a beat and prayed for the boys and girls at our local high school who were in the immediate threat. We stayed in lock down for about 2 hours. It turned out to be a hoax. A young 15 year old boy was "joking" when he told the police about a boy with a gun. Thank our Heavenly Father for keeping everyone safe. It turned out to be a great life lesson about lying. The boy is in big trouble and my students commented on the importance of telling the truth.

No comments: