Thursday, April 30, 2009

My New Skirt!

Ok so I have never sewed a skirt before. So I decided to blog about my first attempt! Now for those of you who don't know me I am not one to follow all of the rules. So keep that in mind if you should decide to critique my work. I used a little improvising to make this work!



This is the material I chose. It is brown with little flowers. It is kinof plain but I like it. It kindof reminds me of something they would have used during the 1800's for an every day skirt.


First I ironed the material so that it would lay flat when I was cutting out the pattern.


Then I pinned the pattern onto the material.

Next I cut the material out.


And sewed it together


Here is one section. But upon sewing the whol thing together I discovered that I made it much too small. I am not as skinny as I once was and miss judged the size I needed to make it work! GRRR. Any way with som improvization i altered the skirt and it wound up shorter than I origonally planned but at least now it fits.

The skirt is still not finished. I need to hem it and add somelastic to the waist. But over all It turned out ok. My seams may not be perficatly streight and I might have some stray strings flying about but when I am done I think it will look just fine. And with time perhaps I can refine my sewing skills and pattern reading enough to sew a better skirt. Either than or I'll spend a week with my mom and perhaps she can teach me.

1 comment:

Nana Porcupine said...

Good Job! I like the color and it will go very nice with almost any color! It will be a nice length for summer!