Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Advent 26

At what point in our lives did I Get To turn in to I Have To. There are two very different emotional responses to those two words. I get to seems to bring excitement. For example I get to go to Disney World. While I have to brings a sense of dread. I have to do the dishes. As I recall many Face Book posts from friends and family this Christmas season I saw a shift in there posts. Many started out with I get to (decorate the tree, buy gifts, bake cookies) but now those same posts are being switched to I have to finish (baking, buying, warping, packing.) If you are one who has noticed this switch I urge you to step back and take a look at why you are doing all these things. Is it because you have to do them? Will the world as you know it come to an end if it doesn't get done? Or will you be disappointed? So often we have a picture in our minds of what we want Christmas to look like in our homes. Now let us dig into Gods word and see what his desire for you is.
A joyful heart is good medicine,
but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.
(Proverbs 17:21; Proverbs 17:22 ESV)

God's true desire for us is that we poses a joyful heart. Did you know that the word Joy is found 167 times in Gods Word? Take some time by your self today and do a word study in Gods Word about being joyful. Ask God to help you find Joy in those tasks that have seemed to switched from I get to to I have to. Make a list of things to be done and prioritize them. When you get the bottom of the list cross some of them off. If the cards do not get sent life will still go on. If you do not have 10 different kinds of cookies to serve life will still go on, If the kids only have a single present under the tree instead of 5 life will still go on. In the end these things are not as important as we make them. The one important things is that God sent his Son as a baby to be the perfect sacrifice for our sins.

God's Blessings as you finish your Christmas preparations.

Sing Praises to Your King!

No comments: